Foods to Help Prevent Heart Disease
Eating a healthy diet is key in preventing heart disease.
Lowering sodium is only part of a healthy diet. Eating the right foods can make a significant difference in our over all health. It's important to incorporate heart healthy food as well as low in sodium each and every day in a well balanced life style. Balance is Key...
1. Garlic: Studies have shown the potential benefits of regular garlic consumption with blood pressure, platelet aggregation, serum triglyceride level and cholesterol levels keeping your heart performing well. Garlic is also great for seasoning your recipes and can greatly reduce the use of salt.
2. Salmon: Salmon lowers the risk of heat problems due
to heart healthy fats. Omega-3s can prevent erratic heart rhythms, reduce the likelihood of blood clots inside arteries and improves the ratio of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol.
3. Berries and Cherries: High in polyphenols, helps to prevent cell damage that creates unhealthy blood vessels. Great tasting and beneficial, the berries and their juice will be a fighting force that will help improve your over all heart health.
4. Walnuts: One of the best plant sources of protein. Rich in fiber, B vitamins, magnesium and antioxidants such as Vitamin E, but the real benefit is they are loaded with omega 3 fatty acids. Walnuts in a healthy diet reduce the risk of heart disease by improving blood vessel elasticity and reduce plaque accumulation. Shown to lower LDL cholesterol, walnuts are truly a super food.
5. Quinoa: Pronounced “Keen-Wah.” A tiny sprouted seed that's an excellent source of fiber, all 9 essential amino acids and all the minerals in wheat, only more! Loaded with magnesium its a great way to help prevent hypertension, ischemic heart disease and heart arrhythmias. Quinoa is truly a super food that is so diverse that it can be added to just about any cuisine.
6. Hot Cocoa: Hot cocoa is brimming with antioxidants. Two times more than red wine and three times more than green tea. Opt for low sugar and you will find a healthy chocolaty treat.